Polystyrene (also known as PS) is a thermoplastic polymerization product of styrene monomer. It is one of the most widely used materials. Along with high dielectric properties, water resistance, resistance to a number of reagents, polystyrene has a sufficiently low impact strength. In order to improve the impact strength, as well as to modify other properties of the material, styrene is copolymerized with rubber or other monomers.
GPPS – general purpose polystyrene.
- Low density (1.05 g/cm³) compared to other transparent plastics (PMMA 1.21 g/cm3, PET 1,27 g/cm³ and more)
- High transparency (about 90% light transmittance)
- High hardness
- High gloss surface
- Low moisture absorption
- Chemical resistance to solutions of acids, alkalis, alcohols.
- Low cost
Areas of use:
- Trade and exhibition equipment;
- Sanitary engineering;
- Lighting products;
- Medical equipment and products;
- Interior decoration;
- Packaging and products in contact with food